Landscape


The PALACE of NESTOR
It was in May 1952 that C.W. Blegen brought to light the remains of a Mycenaean palace at Ano Englianos, Pylos. Ano Englianos is a ridge-like acropolis running from northeast to southwest, with a maximum length of 170m and a width of 90m at its broadest. The hill rises from the surrounding ground in steep cliffs and is 9km away from the nearest point of the Navarino Bay.
The most important parts of the palace are the big rectangural "throne room" with its circular hearth, the room with the clay bath tub, and the stores with their numerous storage vessels. The walls of the palace were decorated with fine wall paintings the remnants of which can be seen today.
The finds from the palace are exhibited in the Archaeological Museum of Chora, Messenia.
For more information: search and find on Google
-See more pictures of Nestor Palace © Roland Themis Chabloz


Source: Hellenic Ministry of Culture
Painting: Piet de Jong

VOIDOKILIA COVE, PALEOCASTRO and GIALOVA LAGOON
Just to the north of the bay of Pylos, the curve of VOIDOKILIA seems to be traced with a protractor. (the name means "cow's belly"). This magnificent sunny beach is surrunded by two rocky headlands which define it’s entrance. ,The fine sand, and the crystal clear water is warm and inviting.
Immediately to the south lies the PALEOCASTRO or Paliokastro (old castle), The exterior walls are perfectly preserved. The castle sits about a 150 meters above voidokilia and provides a stunning view of the beach. The anchorage is able to be utilised only in good weather; in such cases it is an ideal point for a few hour stop. The entrance is safe for both small boats and large. You must pass to the north of a rock that stretches out from the southern point and anchor just inside it . A path in the southern corner of the bay goes up to the castle. The top of the castle provides a perfect vantage point for a magnificent panoramic view of the Bay of Navarino, the Mediterranian, the lagoon of Gialova, the beach of Divari and the olive covered hills across the bay.
From Voidokilia beach you can pass onto the LAGOON of GIALOVA through a nature path to observe the lagoon’s bird life and the fascinating world of one of Europe’s most important wetlands.
Halfway up the same path you will also visit the grotto of Nestore. A huge cave far older than recorded history where legends claim Hermes hid Apollos cattle. The grotto is easily seen from the anchorage.
For more informations
-about Voidokilia > GoTo |> Voidokilia.com © Roland Themis Chabloz
-about Paleokastro > GoTo |> Voidokilia.com © Roland Themis Chabloz
-about Gialova Lagoon > search and find on Google


Voidokilia Cove


Paleokastro (old castle)


Gialova Lagoon

The NAVARINO BAY of PYLOS / SPHACTERIA ISLAND
The bay is closed to the west by the island of Sphaktiria. High and craggy the island rises like a great wall shielding Navarino bay from wind and waves. The island is separated from the coast to the north by a narrow inlet that is impassable to all but the smallest boats. On this same inlet is another beautiful beach and all of the inlet is excellent for snorkeling. The North coast of the bay is shallow and sandy and has a few lagoons.
In the southeast corner of the bay lies the charming city of Pylos with its Marina and massive turkish fortress. In the center of the bay is the small island of Khelonosi with its lighthouse.
Regardless of what path you take arriving in Pylos by boat is very interesting. The high cliffs of Sphaktiria, the French castle, and the Turkish citadel at the entrance make for an impressive scene, Pylos is small but provides a great port to anchor at for a few days and visit all the wonders Navarino Bay has to offer.
For more informations: visit this WebSIte
-about Navarino Bay / Spacteria > GoTo |> Voidokilia.com © Roland Themis Chabloz


Pylos and Navarino Bay

The CITY of PYLOS
Pylos (Navarino) is an immense, well-sheltered bay, that was the theatre of one of the most important chapters in Greek history; The naval battle of 1827 that brought an end to the Russo-Turkish War through the Treaty of Adrianopoli (1829), The treaty finally gauranteed Greece its longed for autonomy from the Ottoman Empire.
Pylos is a small town with about 3,000 citizens. Situated in the Southwest part of the Peloponnese, it is 52 km from Kalamata, the capital of Messinia. It can be reached by the following routes. From Patras (216 km) driving through Patras-Pyrgos-Kyparissia along the coast or inland from Athens (305 km.)
Pylos is a city full of charm. Its amphitheatrical layout offers an exceptional view of the town and the island of Sfaktiria. The heart of Pylos is the Three Admirals Square. With its massive sycamore trees and abundance of bars, restaurants and taverns, the square is quintessentially Greek and deserves a visit.
For more informations
-about Pylos City > GoTo |> Voidokilia.com © Roland Themis Chabloz


The three Admirals Square, in the centre of the town

The NIOKASTRO CASTLE of PYLOS
The Bay of Navarino is protected by two massive castles, one on each of its entrances. The older castle of Navarino called Palaiokastron or Palaionavarinon and the more recent castle, called Niokastron.
The latter was built in 1573 by the Turks, and in 1686 was given over to the Venetians. It again came under Turkish domination in 1715 along with the castle of Koroni and Palaionavarino. In 1816 it was captured by Ibrahim Pasha and remained under his control until 1828 when it was liberated by the French general Maison. During the Second World War it was used as the seat of the Italian and later, the German headquarters.
For more informations or links: visit this WebSIte
-See more pictures of Niokastro > GoTo |> Voidokilia.com © Roland Themis Chabloz


The Niocastro Castel

The CITY of METHONI / CASTLE and BOURDZI
Fifteen minutes down the coast lies Methoni, with its sea-girt castle and exquisite island keep. It was built by the Venetians to guard their commercial and pilgrim routes to the Levant and the Holy Land.
A massive tower with nearby fortifications lapped by the waves of the sea; this is how the Venetian Citadel of Methoni presents itself, constructed on a low rocky point (Soukouli) 10 miles to the northwest of Cape Akritas .
To the east point of the wall’s forteress, a marina is protected to the south by a breakwater with a lighthouse at its end. To the side of the lighthouse there is a little concrete wharf with an abandoned refuelling station. This wharf is made of large piles of stone blocks that force you to engage in some acrobatics in order to reach the land.
A few hundred meters to the north of the bay lies a modern town devoid of charm. Although the town is nothing special the fortress is well worth the visit. Also on the beach around the bay, there are several nice taverns and small hotels to stay overnight..
For more informations or links: visit this WebSIte
-See more pictures of Bourdzi > GoTo this page © Photos Roland Themis Chabloz


Methoni


The Bourdzi




ANNA'A APARTMENTS | Anna & Giorgos Kyriakopoulos | Romanos | Messinia | T.K. 24001 | GREECE
Tel : 0030 27230 41415 or 0030 27230 41850 | Mobile : 0030 694 718 15 02 | Contact us by E-Mail