0030 694 718 15 02 aptsanna@gmail.com
The area of Pylos-Costa Navarino has a variety of landscapes to visit
Voidokilia Cove and Paleokastro
Just to the north of the bay of Pylos, the curve of VOIDOKILIA seems to be traced with a protractor. (the name means “cow’s belly”). This magnificent sunny beach is surrunded by two rocky headlands which define it’s entrance. ,The fine sand, and the crystal clear water is warm and inviting.
Immediately to the south lies the PALEOKASTRO or Paliokastro (old castle), The exterior walls are perfectly preserved. The castle sits about a 150 meters above voidokilia and provides a stunning view of the beach. The anchorage is able to be utilised only in good weather; in such cases it is an ideal point for a few hour stop. The entrance is safe for both small boats and large. You must pass to the north of a rock that stretches out from the southern point and anchor just inside it . A path in the southern corner of the bay goes up to the castle. The top of the castle provides a perfect vantage point for a magnificent panoramic view of the Bay of Navarino, the Mediterranian, the lagoon of Gialova, the beach of Divari and the olive covered hills across the bay.
Halfway up the same path you will also visit the NESTOR’S CAVE. A huge cave far older than recorded history where legends claim Hermes hid Apollos cattle. The grotto is easily seen from the anchorage.

More informations on : Terrabook.com and Discovergreeece.com

Gialova Lagoon
From Voidokilia beach you can pass onto the LAGOON of GIALOVA through a nature path to observe the lagoon’s bird life and the fascinating world of one of Europe’s most important wetlands.

More informations on : Terrabook.com and Ornithologiki.gr

Palace of Nestor
It was in May 1952 that C.W. Blegen brought to light the remains of a Mycenaean palace at Ano Englianos, Pylos. Ano Englianos is a ridge-like acropolis running from northeast to southwest, with a maximum length of 170m and a width of 90m at its broadest. The hill rises from the surrounding ground in steep cliffs and is 9km away from the nearest point of the Navarino Bay.
The most important parts of the PALACE OF NESTOR are the big rectangural “throne room” with its circular hearth, the room with the clay bath tub, and the stores with their numerous storage vessels. The walls of the palace were decorated with fine wall paintings the remnants of which can be seen today.
The finds from the palace are exhibited in the Archaeological Museum of Chora, Messenia.

More informations on : Terrabook.com and Wikipedia.com

Pylos City
PYLOS (Navarino) is an immense, well-sheltered bay, that was the theatre of one of the most important chapters in Greek history; The naval battle of 1827 that brought an end to the Russo-Turkish War through the Treaty of Adrianopoli (1829), The treaty finally gauranteed Greece its longed for autonomy from the Ottoman Empire.
Pylos is a small town with about 3,000 citizens. Situated in the Southwest part of the Peloponnese, it is 52 km from Kalamata, the capital of Messinia. It can be reached by the following routes. From Patras (216 km) driving through Patras-Pyrgos-Kyparissia along the coast or inland from Athens (305 km.)
Pylos is a city full of charm. Its amphitheatrical layout offers an exceptional view of the town and the island of Sfaktiria. The heart of Pylos is the Three Admirals Square. With its massive sycamore trees and abundance of bars, restaurants and taverns, the square is quintessentially Greek and deserves a visit.

More informations on : Terrabook.com and Discovergreeece.com

Niokastro or Neo Kastro (Pylos)
The Bay of Navarino is protected by two massive castles, one on each of its entrances. The older castle of Navarino called Palaiokastro or Palaionavarinon and the more recent castle, called NIOKASTRO.
The latter was built in 1573 by the Turks, and in 1686 was given over to the Venetians. It again came under Turkish domination in 1715 along with the castle of Koroni and Palaionavarino. In 1816 it was captured by Ibrahim Pasha and remained under his control until 1828 when it was liberated by the French general Maison. During the Second World War it was used as the seat of the Italian and later, the German headquarters.

More informations on : Terrabook.com and Lonelyplanet.com

Navarino Bay and Sphacteria Island
The NAVARINO BAY is closed to the west by the island of SPHACTERIA. High and craggy the island rises like a great wall shielding Navarino bay from wind and waves. The island is separated from the coast to the north by a narrow inlet that is impassable to all but the smallest boats. On this same inlet is another beautiful beach and all of the inlet is excellent for snorkeling. The North coast of the bay is shallow and sandy and has a few lagoons. In the center of the bay is the small island of Khelonosi with its lighthouse.
It was the site of three battles: the 425 BC Battle of Sphacteria in the Peloponnesian war, the 1825 AD Battle of Sphacteria in the Greek War of Independence from the Ottoman Empire, the 1827 AD Battle of Navarino, also in the Greek War of Independence

More informations on : Terrabook.com and Britannica.com

Methoni City (castle & bourdzi)
Fifteen minutes down the coast lies METHONI, with its sea-girt castle and exquisite island keep. It was built by the Venetians to guard their commercial and pilgrim routes to the Levant and the Holy Land.
A massive tower with nearby fortifications lapped by the waves of the sea; this is how the Venetian Citadel of Methoni presents itself, constructed on a low rocky point (Soukouli) 10 miles to the northwest of Cape Akritas .
To the east point of the wall’s forteress, a marina is protected to the south by a breakwater with a lighthouse at its end. To the side of the lighthouse there is a little concrete wharf with an abandoned refuelling station. This wharf is made of large piles of stone blocks that force you to engage in some acrobatics in order to reach the land.
A few hundred meters to the north of the bay lies a modern town devoid of charm. Although the town is nothing special the fortress is well worth the visit. Also on the beach around the bay, there are several nice taverns and small hotels to stay overnight..

More informations on : Terrabook.com and Wikipedia.com

Polylimnio Waterfalls
POLYLIMNIO is an earthly paradise in Messinia, near the village Charavgi and is 33 km away from the city of Kalamata. Υou will see there lakes and waterfalls on many levels with water passing through the Gorge of Polylimnio.

More informations on : Terrabook.com and Travelgreecetraveleurope.com

Μπορείτε να κάνετε κράτηση τώρα στο Booking.com ή να επικοινωνήσετε μαζί μας για περισσότερες πληροφορίες

Check-in: αφιξη μετα τις14μμ
Check out: αναχωριση εως τις 11πμ